This Cowboy Bean recipe comes from Bill Hiscox, a 93 year old former cowboy and rancher.
- 2 cups dried pinto or similar beans
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 4 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons of molasses
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
1. Pour the beans in your cooking pot and cover with water. There should be about 2 inches of water above the beans. Soak overnight.
2. Drain the beans then add water until there is about 1 inches above the soaked beans. Add all other ingredients except salt.
3. Bring to a boil. Boil for about three minutes and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours (till lunchtime according to Bill!).
4. Add salt to taste and serve!
This recipe is delicious with fresh biscuits or cornbread!